TLU SA today announced the top three finalists in the TLU SA Young Farmer competition 2020. The winner will be announced on 23 November 2020 in Silverton, Pretoria.
“It seems that the entries we receive get better and better every year,” says Mr Henry Geldenhuys, the president of TLU SA. “Even though we are excited to know that the future of agriculture lies in these very capable hands, it made the task of the judges very difficult to pick a winner!”
The winner will receive the following from our sponsors:
- An overseas trip to the Manitou factory in France;
- R25 000 in cash from Santam; and
- R10 000 in cash from CMH Kempster Ford Hatfield.
The runner-up will receive R15 000 and the third place winner R10 000 from Santam.
“We are thankful to the sponsors who agreed to strengthen the future of agriculture in South Africa, by investing in our young farmers,” says Mr Geldenhuys. “It is very important to create hope for the future throughout the value chain.”
The three finalists are:
- CT van der Merwe (35) from Dendron in Limpopo. CT have been part of the Al3 Boerdery for 13 years, farming with potatoes, butternuts, onions, cattle and recently added dragon fruit to their range of products.
- Danie Bester (35) from Balfour in Mpumalanga have been farming for 17 years. He’s been farming with maize and soy beans on Rietbult for the past 12 years.
- Janis Terblance (32) is from Marble Hall in Limpopo have been farming for the past ten years. He bought his farm six years ago and farms with grapes.
Issued by: TLU SA
Date: 13 November 2020
Enquiries: Mr Henry Geldenhuys, President TLU SA, Cell.: 083 560 1273
Mr Bennie van Zyl, General Manager TLU SA,
Cell.: 082 466 4470